Allen Street Development
The Allen Street Development serves as the residential component of the envisioned master plan prepared for St. Paul Baptist Church to expand its outreach and ministries in the Belmont neighborhood. It encompasses a four block area in the neighborhood, a largely residential neighborhood just outside downtown Charlotte in which the church plays a significant community role.
The project includes a 60 unit senior housing building, 29 townhome style family apartments, and 23 garden style family apartments. Residents will enjoy such amenities as outdoor sitting areas, a community playground, walking trail, gazebo, covered drop off area for seniors, multi-purpose room, resident computer center, a community room, and a covered picnic area. The community space rests at the most prominent intersection of the development. The goal of the project is to facilitate new services and housing for the church and local community while respecting the medium density, residential character of the surrounding neighborhood.
The development is being funded through several low income housing tax credit sources, including the NCHFA and the City of Charlotte Housing Trust Fund.
- community 2012 Democratic National Convention
- community Dr. John T. Crawford Renaissance Center
- community Harvey B. Gantt Center for African-American Arts + Culture
- community preservation Historic Second Ward Gymnasium Renovation
- community Howard Levine Child Development Center
- community Ivory Baker Recreation Center
- community Macedonia Missionary Baptist Church
- community Revolution Sports Academy
- community Romare Bearden Park
- community Stevens Creek Nature Preserve
- community Stratford Richardson YMCA
- community University Park Baptist Church